Throughout the world Ireland is recognised for its ability to produce exceptional sporting horses. The saying goes France for wine and Ireland for horses is thanks to the hardwork, dedication and commitment of the Irish breeder. Through their continued passion, investment of expertise and knowledge it ensures the Irish Sport horse is continually in the limelight at home and overseas.
In recognition of this, the HSI 2013 Breeders Awards took place this week in the Bloomfield House Hotel, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath, following the Irish Horse Board Co-Op AGM. Content is courtsey of Horse Sport Ireland. (opens in new window)
John Hughes received the outstanding contribution award while Dr. Noel Cawley was presented with an award in recognition of his successful show jumping breeding programme. William Micklem received an award for his successful eventing breeding programme.
In what was an exceptional year for young Irish Sport Horses, Agata Leonard received an award in recognition of the Gold medal won by Arraghbeg Clover (ISH), ridden by Ireland’s Greg Broderick, at the FEI World Breeding Jumping Championships for Young Horses in Lanaken, Belgium.
Mary Quinlivan received an award as the breeder of Fernhill Adventure (ISH) who won a Silver medal under Aoife Clark (IRL) at the FEI World Breeding Eventing Championships for Young Horses in Le Lion d’Angers, France.
A total of 13 HSI Breeders Awards were presented by the Chairman of the HSI Breeding sub-board Jim Beecher, the details of which are outlined below.
The Irish Horse Gateway has made finding an Irish horse or pony easier than ever, check out the latest listings of Irish horses for sale.(opens in new window)
2013 HSI Breeders Awards Recipients:
1. Breeder of the Top International Event Horse 2013
Mr Cruise Control (ISH) bred by Jenny McCann, Co. Kildare
2. Breeder of the Top International Showjumper 2013
Castlefield Eclipse (ISH) bred by Pat Nihill, Co. Clare
3. Breeder of the winner of the CCI3* at Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials 2013
Fenyas Elegance (ISH) bred by PJ Hegarty, Co. Cork
4. ISH that contributed most to an Irish Showjumping Team 2013
Loughview Lou -Lou (ISH) bred by Judith Sossick, Co. Antrim
5. Highest Placed ISH at the FEI World Breeding Jumping Championships for Young Horses, Lanaken 2013
Arraghbeg Clover (ISH) bred by Agata Leonard, Co. Offaly
6. Highest Placed ISH at the World Breeding Eventing Championships for Young Horses, Le Lion d’Angers 2013
Fernhill Adventure (ISH) bred by Mary Quinlivan, Co. Cork
7. Breeder of Top ISH Showing Mare 2013
Woodfield Valier (ISH) bred by Rosemary Connors, Co. Waterford
8. Breeder of Top Irish Draught Showing Mare 2013
Elm View (ID) bred by Raymond Sloyan, Co. Mayo
9. Young Breeder Team Award
Junior Young Breeder Team – Orla Dooley (Kilkenny), Caoimhe Kenny (Laois), Alyssa O’Neill (Kildare) & Ruaidhri O’Cianain (Galway)
10. Recognition for a successful eventing breeding programme
William Micklem, Co. Wicklow
11. Recognition for a successful showjumping breeding programme
Noel Cawley, Co. Kildare
12. Outstanding Contribution Award to ISH Breeding
John Hughes, Co. Meath
13. Special Award in recognition of his contribution and dedication to the Irish Horse Register
Tom Hurley, Co. Kilkenny
5266 total views, 1 today